RAMSEY COUNTY CEMETERY LIST
This list was adapted from Minnesota Cemetery Locations, WPA Cemetery data in the Minnesota State Archives, Minnesota Historical Society, newspaper articles, published histories and cemetery experts. Current contact information is included, if applicable. They are listed in approximate order of their opening.
When writing to a cemetery sexton for information, remember that their major business is burial and care of the cemetery grounds, not researching family history. Be specific in your questions, limit how many questions you ask at one time, always include a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelop (SASE), and consider including a small donation as well. It can be guaranteed that your query is not the only one the sexton has to answer! If you make it easy to answer, yours could rise to the top of the pile.
You can freely link to this page, but please note that it is copyrighted.
NOTE: I have taken some photos at each of these cemeteries, and plan to add them as soon as I have time. We have found a volunteer who will try to develop a 'touchable' map of the county, too. If you have cemetery history you'd like to share, please let me know. If you have information about an abandoned Ramsey County cemetery that is not on the list, pass that on, too. Together we can make this a great list. Stay tuned!
Mary Bakeman / Roseville, MN / Mary Bakeman
This page is brought to you by Park Genealogical Books.
Cemeteries within Ramsey County, by date of opening:
- St. John's Cemetery, parish cemetery for St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, 380 East Little Canada Road, Little Canada, MN 55117. This early French-Canadian community predates the establishment of Minnesota Territory, with the land donated by Abraham Lambert in 1850. Burial records for this 20-acre cemetery begin that year. The Little Canada Historical Society, 515 East Little Canada Road--City Hall, Little Canada, MN 55117 is compiling burial information and can provide help for researchers.
- Oakland Cemetery, 927 Jackson St., St. Paul, MN, was established as a 40-acre non-denominational burying ground in 1853. It incorporates many early burying grounds. The 5-acre Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery (Missouri Synod) was located on Cortland between Cook and Lawson, and opened in 1867. It united with Oakland in 1905. The 10-acre Christ Church (Episcopal) Cemetery was in the southwest corner of Sycamore and Sylvan, opening in 1853, and uniting with Oakland in 1864. Central Park Methodist and the First Baptist Church owned sections for their members, along with areas set aside for the Women's Christian Home, Home for the Friendless, Knights of Pythias, St. Paul Fire Department and fraternal groups such as the IOOF, YMCA, Masons, GAR, etc. The cemetery has grown to 100 acres. Approximately 45,000 are buried here. The office has an alphabetic card file to burials.
See Oakland pages at The Political Graveyard and Find-a-Grave. See also the Oakland Cemetery featured in Pioneer Press Don Boxmeyer's columnist on-line St. Paul Tour. requires ipix plug-in - available at link. Oakland records (5 vol.) may be purchased from Park Genealogical Books and the Minnesota Genealogical Society.
- Calvary Cemetery, 753 Front St., St. Paul, MN 55103, was established in 1856. Actually the fourth Catholic Cemetery in St. Paul, the burials from the earlier ones were moved here. More than 100,000 burials have been made in this 100-acre cemetery. Their records are chronological; therefore you will need to provide an approximate date of death when you write. For Catholic burials from the St. Paul area from the late 1960s through the early 1990s, see Resurrection Cemetery (Dakota County).
Park Genealogical Books has published Calvary interment records from the beginning through 1911. See Calvary
pages at the Political
Graveyard and Find-a-Grave.
- Elmhurst Cemetery, 1510 N. Dale St., St. Paul, MN 55117, was established in 1858 through a cooperative arrangement between the Trinity and St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Churches. It includes former German Lutheran Cemetery, also known as the Orchard Street Cemetery, which was also owned by the Trinity Lutheran Church. A fire in 1890 destroyed the early records, the same year that the name was officially changed to Elmhurst. Information on burials can be obtained through office at the above address. The names of the early German lot owners from Orchard Street were published in the Minnesota Genealogical Journal, #19. Among the fraternal organizations owning lots are the Kinderfreund Society and the Grand Army of the Republic. See the Elmhurst page at the Political Graveyard.
- Mount Zion Cemetery, established about 1857, 1670 Payne Ave., St. Paul. First located on the corner of Front and Sylvan (near Oakland Cemetery), from 1856-1889, the bodies were moved to this site. Records prior to 1921 are part of the congregational records. There are approximately 7 acres with 1500 burials. Records are at the Mount Zion Synagogue (Reform) at 1300 Summit Avenue, St. Paul.
For almost twenty years, this was the only Jewish cemetery in Minnesota. Bodies were brought from Mankato and Minneapolis for burial here. Montefiore Cemetery (now Temple Israel Memorial Park at 3rd Avenue and 42nd St. in Minneapolis) was established about 1875.
- St. John's in the Wilderness Episcopal Cemetery, established 1861, was the first cemetery in White Bear township, at White Bear Avenue and South Shore Drive. The first piece of land was donated by John Aubrey, with additions in 1890 and 1918 bringing the total to 3-1/2 acres. The church moved in 1874 to its current location: St. John's in the Wilderness Episcopal Church, 2175 1st St., White Bear Lake, MN 55110. Records are available through the church. The stones have been read and published by the White Bear Genealogical Society.
- Riverview Cemetery, 340 E. Annapolis, St. Paul, is right on city boundary with West St. Paul. Established by the German Lutheran Immanuel congregation (or West St. Paul German Lutheran), it was sometimes called the West Side Lutheran Cemetery. Annapolis is the boundary between St. Paul and West St. Paul. Mailing address is P O Box 18053, West St. Paul, MN 55118-0053. It was founded in 1875, and incorporated in 1886 as a 10-acre cemetery. A parsonage fire in 1880 destroyed records up to that date.
- Two Jewish cemeteries are side-by-side within a common fence on Parkway Drive in St. Paul. Each had its own entrance. Together they occupy approximately 7 acres, with just under 2000 burials. Records to 1955 are being reconstructed. In 1985, when the cemeteries merged, the fence which separated them was removed. Both are now managed by the Beth Jacob Synagogue. Its address is 1179 Victoria Curve, Mendota Heights 55118.
- Sons of Jacob Cemetery, 770 Parkway Dr., St. Paul, has a small sign by one of the gates to the cemetery. Connected with the Sons of Jacob congregation (originally located at Portland and Pascal in St. Paul), the cemetery was established about 1875.
- Sons of Moses Cemetery, established in 1910, is located at Greenbrier and White Bear Road, now 756 Parkway Dr. There is a large sign at the corner for this cemetery.
- White Bear Lake's Union Cemetery, on County Rd. 96 just west of Hwy. 61, was established in 1877 as a private enterprise by W.W. Weber, Sr. A 2-acre non-denominational cemetery, the early burials were taken from 'dooryards,' and reinterred here. The Catholic burials were removed to St. Mary's of the Lake Cemetery in White Bear Lake in 1893. The later addition to the cemetery fronts on County Road 96 and doubled the size of the cemetery to 4+ acres. The original cemetery is at the back of the site, and has a separate entrance. Write to Union Cemetery, c/o Jerry Nelson, 4819 Lake Avenue, White Bear Lake 55110 for information from the records. The stones have been read and published by the White Bear Genealogical Society.
- Several Jewish congregations have cemetery sites within a common fence at Barclay and Maryland in St. Paul. There are three gates, leading to separate cemeteries:
- The northernmost gate leads to the older section of the West Side Hebrew Cemetery, containing the rows north of the road and about 6 rows to the south of the road. It was originally incorporated in 1883. This portion also includes the old Russian Brotherhood Cemetery. In the NE section of the site is the Adath Yeshurum Cemetery, since 1985 a part of the West Side Hebrew Cemetery. (See address below.)
- The middle gate provides entry to the Sons of Abraham Cemetery (originally called B'Nai Abraham). The congregation was established in 1894. In 1901 they purchased property at 10th and Minnesota for a synagogue. They used the Russian Brotherhood cemetery until they bought their own land in 1911. Their first interment was in 1916. This section is about half an acre with 600+ current burials. Information can be obtained from Stuart Marofsky at .
- The southernmost gate leads to the newer portion of the West Side Hebrew Cemetery. The rows south of the road and about 8 rows north of the road are part of this cemetery. This cemetery was connected to four congregations, which merged in 1963 as Adas Israel Synagogue, 2377 Edgcumbe Road, St. Paul, 55116. The congregations were the Highland Park minyan, Agudas Achim, Chevra Michnal Ashkinaz, and Sons of Israel. The cemetery records can be researched through mail to the West Side Hebrew Cemetery, 2575 Doswell Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108.
- St. Paul's Union Cemetery, 2505 E. Minnehaha Ave., St. Paul, MN 55119, was established in 1889, with approximately 60 acres. There are about 22,500 buried here, including one of Gov. Ramsey's maids and St. Paul policeman Ron Ryan Jr. who was killed in the line of duty a couple of years ago. Many of the Swedes who had been buried at the Orchard Street Cemetery were also moved here. You can search their online database at . Information from the records can be obtained from the address above.
- Ramsey County Poor Farm Cemetery, 2000 White Bear Avenue, Maplewood, 55109, established in the 1890s, has not been used since the 1920s. There are almost 3000 burials, and no markers. The interment books are now in the State Archives at the Minnesota Historical Society. Ramsey County's Forgotten Cemetery, available from Park Books, chronicles the history of this cemetery and includes the listing of burials.
- St. Mary's of the Lake Cemetery, on Stillwater Street just east of Otter Lake Road in White Bear Township. This land was purchased in 1893, and opened in 1897. The stones have been read and published by the White Bear Genealogical Society. Records are kept by the St. Mary's of the Lake Church. Their address is 4690 Bald Eagle Avenue, White Bear Lake, MN 55110. See St. Mary's of the Lake page at Find-a-Grave.
- Dale/Rice Cemetery, West County Rd B between Rice and Dale in Roseville, is an old cemetery, noted in 1913 as 'no longer in use.' It was originally the Norwegian Lutheran Cemetery; today it has been owned by the Muslim community since the early 1990s. The name has changed several times, just in the last decade: Rosedale, Rice/Dale, etc. It is divided into two parts: the older section is in front, with the Muslim interments at the back. The records for the early burials have been lost. Burials since the 1950s in the front part are almost exclusively from the Hennepin County Welfare Department. The Roseville Historical Society has transcribed the records for 1950-1988.
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park, earlier called Forest, was first established 1893 as the St. Paul Cemetery. Originally 80-acres, it is now 44 acres located at 1800 Edgerton St., St. Paul, MN 55117. Fraternal organizations such as the Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and the Grand Army of the Republic own sections where members could be buried. A crematory is located on site. There are approximately 15,000 burials here. See the
Forest page at the Political Graveyard.
- St. John the Baptist Cemetery, a Catholic parish cemetery, was established about 1902 on 7th Street NW between 11th and 12th Avenues in New Brighton. It is owned by the congregation of the same name at 825 - 2nd Ave NW, New Brighton, where the records reside. It is about 4 acres in size, with an estimated 2000 burials. Many of the early stones include inscriptions in Polish. The stones have been transcribed, and can be found at Minnesota Cemetery Transcription Project. There is a link for anyone
wanting a copy of a photo via email.
- Roselawn Cemetery, 803 Larpenteur Ave., Roseville, MN 55113, conducted its first burial in 1903. The buildings were designed by Cass Gilbert, architect for the state capitol and for the nation's capitol in Washington, DC. The Typographical Union is among the organizations owning sections for their members. There are approximately 22,000 burials in the 160 acres. The first burial was Don, the horse Governor Marshall rode as a General during the Civil War. See also their on-line database.
- St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery, established 1907, is a Catholic parish cemetery owned by The Church of St. Peter in North St. Paul. There are two parts: the older part (about 10 acres) is located at mid-Helen St., North St. Paul, and the newer part at Helen and Lydia (about 20 acres). Its records are at Sandberg Mortuary, 2593 7th Avenue East, North St. Paul 55109.
- Chesed Shel Emes Cemetery, established 1912 for the poor in the Jewish community, is located at 1600 Christie Place which is in St. Paul. It is near the intersection of Larpenteur and Prosperity, which is the boundary line between St. Paul and Maplewood. The cemetery association is not connected with any single synagogue. There are approximately 5 acres and 3000 burials. See entry under Ramsey County at The
GenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project: Minnesota.
- Temple of Aaron Cemetery, Dale at Larpenteur, Roseville. The congregation (Conservative) was incorporated in 1912, with the synagogue originally at Grotto and Ashland in St. Paul. The congregation moved to 616 South Mississippi River Boulevard, St. Paul, MN in 1956. The cemetery land was purchased in 1918. It is about 6 acres in size, with approximately 2000 burials.
- Humane Society Pet Cemetery - once known as the Feist Cemetery, is for pets. Access is from Dale and Cope (a dead end street just north of Highway 36) in Roseville. Dr. Feist has a veterinary clinic in Roseville for many years. The cemetery is now administered by the Ramsey County Humane Society.
Cemeteries outside Ramsey County, used by Ramsey County residents:
- Lakeview Cemetery, is located in section 31 of Grant township in Washington County on highway 120. It was established in 1889, with the first interment in 1890 under the ownership of the Village of North St. Paul. There are about 4 acres with 4-5000 burials. Records are in the care of Herb Parker, 5226 Otter Lake Road, White Bear Lake, MN 55110. The stones have been read and published by the White Bear Genealogical Society.
- Sunset Memorial Park, 2250 St. Anthony Blvd., St. Anthony, MN 55418, was established in 1927.
- Hillside Memorial Cemetery, 2600-19th Ave. N.E., Minneapolis, is very close to the northwestern Ramsey County residents, some of whom are buried here.
See the Hillside page at the Political Graveyard.
- Resurrection Cemetery, 2101 S Lexington Avenue, Mendota Heights 55120 (Dakota County) was established in 1940. Beginning in the 1960s, many St. Paul and Ramsey County families were directed to Resurrection, as Calvary was deemed full. This continued until 1991, when some of the roads at Calvary were removed and planning for mausoleums began, creating additional burial space. Resurrection has 200 acres already developed, with another 100 undeveloped. About 36,000 have been buried there.
- Evergreen Memorial Gardens, 3400 Century Avenue North @ Highway 120, is actually in Mahtomedi, Washington County, but right on the county line. It opened in late 1953, and has about 30 acres and 4700 burials. Administrative offices are at Mueller Mortuary, 835 Johnson Parkway, St. Paul, MN 55106. All the markers lie flat in the ground. They have been read and published by the White Bear Genealogical Society.
For look-up assistance, visit Ramsey County, Minnesota Lookups. Check with your local library to obtain copies of books mentioned on this page via inter-library loan. For other cemeteries, see the United States Cemetery Index: by Kimberly J. Beecher Engelhardt.
(c) 1999, Park Genealogical Books, Roseville, MN